Tuesday, August 7, 2018
You May Not Need Every Tool
Do you have a lot of tools?
I don't. I had a nice collection inherited from my dad (I call them a collection because I collected them but when they were his he actually USED them) until they were destroyed in a fire.
Now, an apartment dweller, I have few tools. I still don't use all of them -- but I know how.
When we are solving problems we have many tools. The temptation is to use them all. It's oddly satisfying to bring out tool after tool. Satisfying, but sometimes inefficient. Simplicity - elegant simplicity is often best.
Use the tools that work, and leave the rest for another time.
It isn't always necessary to overwhelm a problem in order to solve it.
Sometimes the solution is right there in from of you and in need of only one tool. Dialogue. Talk about it and see what happens. You might just solve that problem faster than you expected.
-- doug smith
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
-
Obvious solutions are great, except that they seldom work. The chances are that the solution that first occurs to you has already been tri...
-
When we are off center it impacts our results. Our solutions will seem 0ff-center as long as we are. Let's start by centering ourselves....
-
If you work long enough you'll notice something that will give you a strong perspective. Every year there is a new problem that is capa...
-
A problem is a dynamic in search of a dance. -- doug smith
-
Leaders and others strain under the weight of not knowing. The tension of transition that is uncertain can feel unbearable. We want answers....
-
The decisions you make during problem solving are as important as the solutions you develop, even if they do not lead to solutions. Decision...
-
It's the inner workings where the problems are the most persistent. It takes longer to dig deeper. Dig deeper. -- doug smith
-
It isn't possible or necessary to solve every problem. Focus on the problem in front of you. Solving that first problem builds momentum ...
-
It's the system. Or maybe it's the process. It might not be you at all. It might not be your team at all. Personal problems come fro...
-
A truly ambitious goal will give you a new problem to solve. -- doug smith


No comments:
Post a Comment